Just a few statistics to get you thinking about the role social media played to get the campaign where it is today…
According to the PEW RESEARCH CENTRE:
- 66,000 – the number of reported views on the first day the video was posted
- 9,000,000 – the number of reported views after Oprah’s ‘tweet’
- 80,000,000 – the number of views the video recieved after just 5 days
In noting the significant increase in views from when Oprah tweeted it can easily be said that celebrity accounts draw substantial visibilty, a phrase known as “Attention Philanthropy”.
- 40% of 18-29 year olds have heard a lot about KONY with majority through social media
- 18% of 50-64 year olds and 19% of 65+ have heard a lot about KONY with majority through traditional media forms.
In exploration of the critical role social media has played particularly to those under 30 years of age, the report suggests the video “provided striking evidence that young adults and their elders at times have different news agendas and learn about news in different ways”. This supports theories reagrding the transformations the media spehere has undergone with particular interest towards a convergent cutlure; where professionals and amatures blur the lines of what is classified as the ‘producers’ and the ‘consumers’.